Friday, January 26, 2007

Baby Simons 1st Check Up: Week 11

Today was the big day that I had been waiting 4 whole weeks for...another doctors appointment. Sounds silly, but I have been told that when you are pregnant you live for your next doctor's appointment and your next sonogram. Well, today we finally got to go to the doctor. It was a rather quick visit compared the ones before...they weighed me and I hadn't gained any weight! PRAISE THE LORD! They took my blood pressure and then we went to the exam room. She said that we were going to try and hear the heart beat today, but not to freak out if you couldn't hear it because the baby is still very small. I told her that I would try not to freak out...she assured me that if they didn't hear it, then they would do a sonogram...which part of me was hoping I could see the Baby. She pushed the doppler thingy into my midsection and moved it all around for what seemed like forever and I was thinking...we aren't going to be able to hear it. But, then all of a sudden she said...there it is! I was like "are you sure?" Because it sounded so far away...she said the fast one is the babies and the slow one is yours. I listed really hard and heard...flub,flub...flub,flub...flub,flub...and there it was...our baby's heartbeat. I asked Kevin if he could hear it and he said yes and smiled! Maggie, our great nurse, said that it was beating 160 beats per minute and it was suppose to be between 140 and 180. She said that it sounded good and strong! Great words to my ears!

Our doctor came in and said that everything looked good, all the blood tests came back great. She also reminded me that I had O negative blood and would have to have a shot at 23 weeks and then again at delivery if the babies blood is positive instead of negative. And then she told me that I was not immune for German Measles!! I said...okay...is that bad? She said that is wasn't and that they would give me a shot after delivery. Who would have thought...German Measles...Maggie said that it wasn't very common...and I was like...for sure...since I have never heard of it! So people...get your vaccination for the German measles!

All that to say, my heart and mind are at peace today because everything is good with the baby. It is funny, but it is like the baby and that fact that we are going to be Mom and Dad became a little more real today!

Thanks for sharing in our journey with us!

3 comments:

the underhill's said...

We are truly happy for you...what a great blessing!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

To the proud mama & papa,
The heartbeat is such a glorious sound! I'm glad the doctor's appt went super! No weight gain...woo hoo!
love,
Sunni

Murrell Family said...

Congratulations! I am so excited to hear that you guys are going to be parents. I love the sound of a baby's heartbeat...it is a reassurance of God's creation growing inside of you. What a blessing that you were able to hear it at this appointment.